Today, I am going to be sharing with you the steps you need to take in order to pick the absolute perfect pieces of furniture for your home. It is so important to furnish your home with pieces that you love. And you will enjoy your home so much more if the furniture that you choose meets several essential qualifications.
Have you ever bought the wrong piece of furniture?
Did you just keep it and live with it, even though it did not perfectly meet your needs or your taste?
If you are like me, and have lived in a home or apartment for a number of years, the answer is most likely, “yes”!
Before we moved into our farmhouse, we excitedly purchased a few new antique pieces of furniture. But for the most part, we just brought in the existing furnishings that we had in our previous home. I figured that I would just make them work.
I placed both the antiques that I purchased and the furniture that I already had, in the rooms of this old farmhouse. I arranged them in the different rooms and decorated the spaces in a charming, old farmhouse, cottage style.
But after a just a few months had passed, and as I began to organize our belongings, I realized many of the pieces were NOT working.
I began to see that we needed some furniture pieces that we didn’t have. This old farmhouse called for furniture that was different sizes, with different storage capacities, and even different styles. But finally, I figured it out. I now can say with confidence, that I know how to make our home comfortably well-appointed with the perfect piece for just the right place.
So, how did I come to this epiphany?
And how should you decide what pieces of furniture to pick for your home?
What are the perfect pieces that will add cozy charm to your home?
HERE ARE THE STEPS YOU SHOULD TAKE TO FIND THE PERFECT PIECE OF FURNITURE FOR YOUR HOME:
- Decide on what your unique taste and style of decorating looks like.
- Nail down the “job” that the piece of furniture will do.
- Get the exact measurements for the placement of the new “perfect” piece!
- Have a fixed furniture shopping budget in mind.
A FURTHER EXPLANATION OF THIS LIST:
- I recommend looking through Pinterest boards to see what design styles appeal to you. Try to narrow down whether you love styles such as traditional, rustic, cottage, French, modern, primitive, farmhouse, industrial, etc. Once you know your preferred style, it is much less confusing to shop for the right new piece of furniture to add to your home.
- Knowing the “job” of the piece will also help you when you begin to look for just what you need. Would the perfect piece of furniture be for storage? Would it be to hold task lighting next to a chair? Is it for display of precious items? Is it for a comfy sitting spot? Could it be merely decorative or to fill an awkward empty space? Having the purpose fixed in your mind will help tremendously.
- When you begin to look for a chest, or a table, or a hutch, you want to know exactly how high, wide, and deep the piece needs to be. How big is too big? You can make do with a piece of furniture being a bit smaller than optimal, but buying something that is too big is just disastrous! Knowing exactly where it will go and how it will fit, really helps in planning the overall design for your room. You will end up with a piece that “goes” like you want it to, if you know those measurements ahead of time!
- Having a very clear idea of what you can comfortably spend on an item for your home is extremely helpful! You will have a much easier time narrowing your search if you stick to your predetermined budget parameters. Spending too much on a piece of furniture means that it was not the perfect piece and it can really take away from the joy of having it. Besides, I think it is much more rewarding and fun to search for a sweet deal! And I believe, whole-heartedly, that we should always be good stewards of our finances, and not go into debt if at all possible.
Great places to find amazing deals are Facebook Marketplace, local thrift stores, Craigslist, garage sales and flea markets.
If you use these guidelines for choosing your next “perfect piece” of furniture, you will end up with the proper storage for your belongings, you will have something that delights your eyes each time you see it, it will be comfortable for the space, it will be something that you easily afford, and your home will slowly begin to turn into the well organized, comfortable, beautiful space of your dreams!
Please tell me in the comments, if you have ever purchased the absolute WRONG piece of furniture. Or tell me… what is your favorite piece of furniture in your home?
Well, Sweet Pea, I hope that you have fun in the search!
Until the next time we talk, keep home sweet and may the good Lord bless and keep you!
Sharon at Southern Bella Home
For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.